Wednesday, September 3, 2014

…About My Name

You know, spelling my last name is not really a "gimme."  I get that. It's spelled M-c-N-e-e-l-e-y. OK, yeah, it's got a bucketful of "E"s in it.  I get that the usual spelling has only two. M-c-N-e-e-l-y.  So when I first meet someone, I could see where they might make a mistake. Once.

I say "Once" because I am very clear on how to spell my name. As soon as someone starts to write it down, I am very clear and helpful. "That's M-c-N-e-e-l-e-y."  Now you have no excuse. I don't have some deep Southern drawl that makes it difficult to understand. I'm not generally one who mumbles. "M-c-N-e-e-l-e-y."  It's pretty easy really.

Through these many years, I have had some very interesting spellings from people who seemed at the time to be pretty intelligent. McNeely, MacNelly, McNealy, MacNealey… You see what I'm saying.  The favorite (not really) of all time: MacKnealy. Where the hell did you get that??!

I also get quite miffed when someone is just lazy. (On the phone) "OK, hold on while I ask Mr. Neely…"  Really?  REALLY?? "Mr. Neely"??  Are you too lazy to give me ALL of my name?  It makes me want to return the favor. "Why of course, Bar, I'll get it for you."  "Sure thing, Mr. Washin, here you go."

It's not just my last name, either. My first name is Paul. Do me a favor… say that aloud a time or two. Paul. Paul.  Does that sound like anything else to you? I surely hope not. Now I worked in radio for many years. I have done public speaking for many years. I have worked as the announcer for a college band program for many years. (Actually I am now in the 19th year!) So I know how to speak.    Now, you please tell me, how does "Paul" sound like anything else??  It doesn't. But I can't tell you how many times I get this:  "Hi, I'm Paul."   "Hi, Tom, nice to meet you."
WHISKEY-TANGO-FOXTROT, OVER?!
How the HELL did you get Tom from Paul? Geez, Louise. Please Pay Attention!

Now here comes the good part of that one. I saw a copy of a letter from one of those moments where the guy said he had spoken with… wait for it… TOM MCKINLEY. Holy shit!! (Sorry.) But… I digress.

I have, in the last two weeks, gotten emails at work from separate folks who, in the body of the  emails, type my name as M-c-N-e-e-l-y, but then send it to me with the spelling of M-c-N-e-e-l-e-y.  (In my best whiny voice) Whyyyy??

I have friends with out-of-the-ordinary last names. My buddy Nick's last name is Efstathiou. Try saying that one correctly!  But try to spell it without practice. Not easy. Lydia's last name is Mitrevski. Not an easy one. But you know what? I spell them correctly. You know why? Because it's important to me. I know how I feel when someone can't get mine right. I don't want to do that to someone else.

So the whole point to my rant is this simple thing: Pay attention to people. When you meet someone, look them in the eye and warmly repeat their name. "Hi, Paul, it's nice to meet you." Be careful to understand. If you don't understand, ask.  I would FAR rather someone ask me to repeat my name than call me Tom McKinley.  I promise you, no one who suffers this same aggravation would think less of you for asking.

Personally, I'd truly appreciate it!



.

No comments:

Post a Comment