Wednesday, December 30, 2015

…About Referees, Rules, and Replacements

Well, hello! Welcome back… It's been a while, but I feel like it's finally time to have a conversation I've been  thinking about for quite some time. 
I think it's time to start holding referees' feet to the fire. 

When video review in football first came around, I was not a big fan. "Don't take out the human factor," I said. "Video will take over the game," I said. "We don't need the annoyance," I said. 
Perhaps I was a bit quick to judge. There have been many occasions where I have been happy to see the replay review change the call. 

Admittedly, it is always a happy thing when that call reversal benefits my own team, but I feel I am honest enough to appreciate getting it right even when it benefits the opponent. This is especially true when it deals with things like "targeting," or a call that could change history. (If you don't get what I mean by that last phrase, it's ok.)  

I have a few friends who are "stripes." My dear friend John is one of the hardest working officials I know. By his character, he strives to call the most near-perfect game he is capable of calling. That's his nature. He couldn't look in the mirror if it were any other way. So, John, Rennie, Dan, et al, please don't flag me for Unsportsmanlike Conduct when I continue my rant. But… I digress. 

If we (editorially) are going to use video replay to determine the outcome of a play, or decide whether or not a player was trying to play dirty, or whether or not it was actually a fumble, we need to use it to confirm whether or not an official is worth having on the field. 

I am not an official; have not done the schooling for it. I am like so many millions of others - an armchair Coach/Quarterback/Referee. What I am is able to see what is going on during a play. Now I know there are many things that official is supposed to be watching. I get that. But when there is a penalty that is so obvious my Great Dane can see it, that's just wrong and the unseeing official should be held accountable. (No, I have no Great Dane, but you get my point.) 

Here comes today's prime example. I am currently watching a bowl game, the very clear underdog is trying to make a game of it. The wide receiver goes long - post pattern to the goal line. The defensive back for We're So Great U is beaten. At the point of the catch it is as clear as well water that the DB is holding the WR's arm. The replay shows two officials looking dead at the play. Neither throws a flag. NEITHER throws a flag! How can you tell ANYONE that there was no foul? How can you tell ANYONE that you didn't see it? That's just pure bad officiating.  

Here's the next point: Rules. Are. Rules. There is no softening of that fact. Rules. Are. Rules.  The rules of any game are the rules of the game and are to be followed. That is how life operates. That's just the way it is. The most asinine statements made every game are: 
* You gotta let 'em play. 
* That wasn't much of a hold. 
* It's gonna be a long game if you're gonna call every little thing. 
* That's a good No-Call. That statement makes me want to instigate violence more than any other. 
If it's a rule that you can't do this or that, when someone does this or that, it's a penalty. Period. Done. Fini. Over. End of conversation. Throw the flag, walk it off, press on.  

So here is my solution to bad officiating. If a replay shows an official blatantly miss a call, or choose to make a no-call on a clear penalty play, on the third occasion, have the official removed from the game and replaced. And this should be a "challengeable" thing. Three strikes and you're out. If you're not going to be efficiently effective, you get to sit out - and with no pay, mind you. Make the calls, correctly, or take a seat.  

And NO calls are above being challenged. I know an official is not going to see every single thing. There are too many things going on. But there are many, many, many things that are not called that are pure ridiculousness. 

Surely this would be fair!  Absolutely nothing less is expected of us in our jobs! 







No comments:

Post a Comment