Thursday, July 18, 2013

...About Being Macho

I suppose it's something the largest majority of males are born with. It might be something in the food we are raised on, but I expect it's more a natural-born item. It is the need to be seen as, and to feel Macho. 

The dictionary says: macho | ˈmäCHō adjective  |  showing aggressive pride in one's masculinity  


That definition contains a key, very important word in understanding males: aggressive.  aggressive | əˈgresiv |  adjective |  ready or likely to attack or confront; characterized by or resulting from aggression  


Here is my disclaimer: 
Before I go any further, let me clarify a couple o' points. I didn't watch the George Zimmerman trial. I didn't hang on every report that came out. I haven't watched any of the pontificating by the media. I tried to keep up with the facts and progress of the case through the headlines only. As a result, I have opinions based less on what I feel is biased reporting, and more on the facts I believe I gleaned from "less-in-depth" reporting. So - If I mis-state something about the facts, forgive me and chalk it up to my own misinformation. 

I believe that this trait we carry, this need to be macho, may well be the single largest factor in the recent Zimmerman / Martin tragedy. I do think of it as a tragedy. But I do NOT feel it caused by racism, or profiling, or a full moon, or a bite from a rabid moth. 

I believe the final outcome of that night was the inevitable result of two people who became overwhelmed by the need to be feel, and be seen as macho. Yes, there were some ridiculously stereotypical pieces to the puzzle, but I feel them to be very small in the overall picture. Apparently George referred to Trayvon as a "punk." Apparently Trayvon called George a "cracker." Posturing in the macho style. George was on the phone with the Police. Trayvon was on the phone with his friend. Posturing for their respective audiences. 

Many, many years ago, when I was in elementary school, we were at recess. I can't remember now what began it, but I became entangled with one of the school bullies - I'll call him Russell Latta, because that was his name. Russell and I began to argue and that evolved into posturing because our friends were watching. At a point, there was nothing left but the fight. It lasted exactly two punches: I landed a non-effective blow to his chest; he landed a straight-on plant to my nose that caused a gusher. It was over. I went to the restroom and cleaned my bloody face, and he was the winner. Two little boys caught up in the moment of needing to feel, and be seen as macho. 
Needless to say, I was the lesser macho of the moment, but he did get suspended for a day.  But... I digress!  

I truly believe that, as sad and tragic as it is, the horrible outcome of that night was caused by the refusal by either person to succumb to a feeling of reduction in his macho. 
It's sad. It's a tragic and unnecessary loss of life. But, and this will get me some criticism, I think it was about the only likely outcome. And that is sad. 

What is even more sad is how many across the country latch on to the opportunity to make something more out of this than it is. Sure - neither of the two (if you're honest it IS both of them) was without fault. Neither was an innocent little angel moving through this life. But the people across this country who are using the circumstances to create tension, cause unrest and CRIME, and even justify their own racism and stereotyping are the ones killing our country. It takes no macho to be a leech. It takes no macho to lead a riotous crowd who will cover your criminal activity. It takes no macho to stand in front of blind mobs and preach unrest and hatred. It takes no macho to use a high-ranking office to impose your  biased, opinionated, discriminatory feelings on the country. (There, I said it!) 

I hope and pray the people of this great country we call "America" will realize that we must fix our country and return to civility, or we will most certainly lose our country to the same type of blind hatred suffered by too many other countries. If we give in to that blind hatred, we may find ourselves fighting in OUR country in the same manner we are fighting in those countries now. 

I would like to hope intelligence will prevail before I die. 
Sadly, I become a bit less optimistic every day. 



.


No comments:

Post a Comment