Thursday, March 14, 2013

...About Customer Service

So I pull into Arby's to get some lunch. I like Arby's for a change from the other drive-thru offerings. I pull to the speaker, wait patiently, and then it starts: "Welcome to Arby's may I take your order?"
"Yes, I would like a number 2, com..."
"Combo or sandwich?"
"Combo - reg..."
"What size?"   
I couldn't stand it. So, being the jerk I am, I said, "If you will let me, honey, I'll tell you everything."
Silence.
"I would like a number 2 combo, regular size, with Dr. Pepper to drink, and an apple turnover - and that will be all."
"Will that be all?"  DEAR, LORD!!  I don't think the new pope could maintain civility at this!

Many years ago, while in college, I worked at McDonald's. The best lesson I've ever learned about customer service was at that McDonald's. The owner was Bob Binford. He was a loud, large-and-in-charge guy. When I was hired, he told me (and a couple of other newbies), "The second time I get a complaint about you, you're fired. The first time I'll give you some benefit of being new, but the second time, you're fired. There are a thousand other high school and college kids who want a job. I don't have to tolerate bad customer service." And he didn't. And maybe more fast-food owners shouldn't.   But.... I digress!

This was McDonald's in a college town, mind you. BUSY! I get the whole customer service thing. There is a big difference (to me) between good customer service and being obnoxious. When a customer orders, let them order through as far as they can go. When they seem finished, ask them for what they left out. Hands down, the greatest fast-food customer service ever is at Chik-Fil-A.

And before you say it, Yes, the opposite extreme is also aggravating. My friend Mark went into a convenience store to get a Diet Coke. When he got to the register, the cashier was behind the register sitting on a 5 gallon plastic bucket eating from a styrofoam "to go" box. She didn't even acknowledge him. After a couple of seconds, he very congenially said, "I hate to interrupt your dinner just to ring up a drink." She looked at him very indignantly and said, "I ain't gettin' up."  A co-worker who was over there putting stock on shelves came over to wait on him. Can you believe that?? Bob Binford would have puked!

In a department-type store, I appreciate a sales person coming over and asking if I need assistance. I appreciate that they are doing their job. When I smile and say "No thanks, I'm just looking for now", I expect to be left to my own devices. I want to drop-kick the ones who continue following me through the furniture department. "Yes, sir! That's a great recliner" or "Right now we're having our Semi-Monthly Store Manager's Everythings-Gotta-Go sale on all items of furniture and all items are 25 to 86% off."  I can read the signs. I want them to wander off and graze over there until I beckon, whistle, or wave.

I also get miffed with telephone customer service. I don't want to tell you my account history to simply ask if there are supposed to be 6 or 7 of those bolts in the box. One thing I do like is the "Chat with our customer service rep" on a website. Questions are quick and to the point, and I don't have to hear your nasally, heavy-accented, mumbly, talk-too-fast-to-understand voice.  Quick in, quick out. See ya!

I suppose what all this is getting to is that good customer service is an art. It's not that hard to do, but you have to want to provide good customer service. I learned over all my years that people really can hear you smile on the phone, or through the speaker. Some of the greatest experiences I've ever had were with the customer service person - not the salesperson, or the manager, or whomever. When I am enjoying the customer service I'm receiving, I will tolerate a lot of things. You can tell me "No" if you handle it the right way. If you act snotty or indifferent, all I want to know is "Who's the manager and where's my gun??!!"

You want to see the GREATEST customer service in the galaxy, go to a retirement area (The Villages in Florida comes to mind).  Older folks who want to get out of the house and are glad they have another day on the green side of the grass are so pleasant. So, too, are the young people who work in those types of communities. They have figured out that the old folks won't tolerate sassy, indifferent, "I ain't gettin' up" service. Old folks will talk loud and ask for the manager! And the manager is more concerned with the one who has money - not some young whippersnapper.

With my luck, the manager would be Bob Binford. Shoot me now.



.

1 comment: